For oily and acne-prone skin the foundation of acne prevention is in choosing the right cleanser. Cleansing or washing your skin with the right cleanser doesn’t only remove dirt it also prevents your pores from getting clogged which is one of the causes of acne.
Why do you need a different cleanser?
Cleansers for oily and acne-prone skin contain actives that help reduce the formation or treat active acne. These actives perform multiple functions and work in a different ways to unclog pores, reduce oil production or kill off the P.Acne bacteria on your skin. So choose the right one for your skin type.
What actives work for you
- Salicylic acid
- Mandelic Acid
- Benzoyl peroxide
Cleansers I recommend
Since I have oily and acne-prone skin I have tried A LOT of cleansers, and these are some I have used and I love.
Is clinical Cleansing complex– $36|N20,000
- White Willow Bark- Botanical BHA that exfoliates the skin and deeply cleans pores.
- Sugarcane- AHA that gently exfoliates the skin for a renewed complexion.
- Centella Asiatica- Powerful antioxidant with healing properties that helps diminish the appearance of premature ageing.
- Chamomile Flower- Photoprotective antioxidant with calming properties.
- Deep-cleanses skin and pores without drying
- Excellent for blemish-prone skin
- Gives the appearance of smaller pores
COSRX Salicylic Acid Daily Gentle Cleanser-$9 |N 5,500
- Salicylic acid- exfoliates dead skin, controls excess oil, reduces the appearance of enlarged pores and breakouts.
- Tea tree leaf oil- known for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, battles blemishes and restores harmony to hyper-sensitive complexions.
- Provides a rich, creamy lather for intensive and efficient cleansing
- A Natural BHA component shrinks pores and offers mild exfoliation with willow bark
- Prevent the formation of blackheads and whiteheads by exfoliation.
- Control oil production and cleanse all the dirt in pores.
- Decongests pores treat whiteheads and blackheads and control oil with salicylic acid
Neostrata Mandelic Clarifying Cleanser– $32| N19,000
- Mandelic Acid – is a gentle yet effective Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA) that is ideal for exfoliating oily skin.
- Salicylic Acid – clarifies pores and improves skin texture.
- Gluconolactone(Polyhydroxy Acid (PHA) – hydrate the skin & enhances skin cell regeneration, improves skin texture, even skin tone, and reduces the appearance of pores
- A soap-free foaming cleanser
- Helps reduce potentially problematic bacteria on the skin
- Suitable for All skin types including normal to oily / acne-prone skin.
Cerave Renewing SA Cleanser -$14.99|N10,000
- Salicylic acid – exfoliate and smooth your skin while also removing dead cells, and softening rough skin—without leaving skin feeling dry.
- Ceramides – barrier-restoring ingredients like ceramides, can help keep moisture in while keeping irritants out.
- Hyaluronic acid and niacinamide- to soften and smooth the skin without disrupting its protective barrier
- Effectively cleanses to remove dirt and oil
- Salicylic acid helps exfoliate soft, smooth skin
- Enriched with antioxidant vitamin D
- Help restore and maintain the skin’s natural barrier with three essential ceramides
- Retains the skin’s natural moisture with hyaluronic acid& niacinamide
Sunday Riley Ceramic Cleanse-$35|N18,000
- French green clay – removes dirt,& oil
- Rice oil esters protect the skin from dehydration.
- A blend of plant-based soap washes away dirt and impurities without stripping the skin.
- Extremely gentle, this deep cleaning cleanser can be used daily.
- Formulated as a universal, foaming cleanser for all skin types even the most sensitive skin,
So you have a list of 5 cleansers that will work if you have oily or acne-prone skin. However, like with all things skincare, the right cleanser will only work when it is combined with an effective skincare routine that takes all the other components into consideration.
You can learn more about the basics you need in a skincare routine here and how to put together an effective routine that works here. If you want a routine specifically targeted to your acne or breakouts, then you are in luck with my eBook banish breakouts you can learn more below.
Say Good-Bye To Pimples
✅ Get the step by step guide on which products will work for your acne & why
✅Discover the ingredients you must have in your routine (if you want results
✅Get actual product recommendations so you have a ready-made routine – no trial and error